The Vancouver Section of the IEEE will award up to three scholarships to students enrolled in engineering related programs who best meet the objectives of the scholastic trust fund. These scholarships are awarded annually and consist of two $1,000 awards and one $2,000 award. Each award is named in honour of a distinguished contributor to the IEEE Vancouver Section.
- Thurb Cushing Scholarship Award
In memory of deceased outstanding individuals of the Section, the Vancouver Section offers this award to students enrolled in IEEE related studies who have demonstrated high scholastic attainment. Other considerations include a demonstrated interest in student affairs, particularly in a Student Branch of the IEEE.
- Hector J. MacLeod Scholarship Award
In honour of Dr. H. J. MacLeod, Dean Emeritus, Faculty of Applied Science at University of British Columbia, this award recognizes his pioneering efforts in education and science. The award will be made to a student who has demonstrated initiative in their chosen field and has attained high scholastic honours. Other consideration includes an interest in student affairs, particularly in a Student Branch of the IEEE.
- John Deane Scholarship Award
In honour of Senior Life Member John Deane, this award recognizes his active IEEE involvement. He joined IEEE in 1932 as a UBC student and remained active through his semi-retirement in the Vancouver Area in 1976. This award honours active involvement in the IEEE and in extra-curricular student affairs, particularly in a Student Branch of the IEEE. The student should have high scholastic standing and demonstrated initiative in their chosen field.
How to Apply
E-mail applications should be sent to Nico Dreyer (nico.dreyer at ieee.org) with a copy to your IEEE Student Branch Councillor. The Vancouver Section of the IEEE will award up to three scholarships to students enrolled in IEEE related programs who best meet the objectives of the award criteria. Please ensure applications meet the stated requirements. Please direct questions to the IEEE Student Branch Councillor. All applications will be considered for all awards. (Separate applications are not required.)
- Application Deadline: March 4, 2018
Application Requirements & Eligibility
The award competition is open to undergraduate and graduate IEEE student members within the Vancouver Section’s geographic area (BC Province, excluding Vancouver Island).
A letter of application should provide all of the following:
- Applicant information: Name, phone number, e-mail address, postal address, student status (graduate or undergraduate), IEEE membership status, and IEEE number.
- Reference information: Name, academic and/or IEEE membership status, phone number, and e-mail address for each of two references who will confirm the student information provided in the application. Suggested references are: members of the teaching staff of the university, IEEE members (any membership grade), student activities references, present or former employers.
- Application letter: Explaining why the student meets the objectives of the scholarship program, particularly with reference to their participation in academic and student activities. The letter should be no more than one page long.
- Evidence of academic achievement: A copy of the student transcript should provide sufficient evidence. The deadline for submission of applications is March 4, 2018. Successful applicants will be invited to receive their award at the IEEE Vancouver Section Annual General Meeting.